Dysphagia (pronounced dis-fay-ja) is the medical term for difficulties swallowing. Due to brain damage caused by a stroke, eating and drinking may become difficult. This is because the nerves and muscles of chewing and swallowing are weakened especially in the early stages. This may cause the person to choke on food / drink or experience food / drink getting stuck in the throat.
Sometimes people also find it hard to keep food in their mouth due to weakness around the lips. This can often be quite embarrassing for the person particularly when in company.
To find out more about dysphagia
Click on FAQ: How can I make swallowing easier and safer?